My Atheist code is:
ACv1.0 DUR5 STR4 BIT2 ACT3 DEF5 DEB5 CON5 SLM3 XTN1 PUB4
The Page of Reason
Official member of:
"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world." (Unknown)
Why this page is here
This page is here because I thought that my homepage was too influenced by my atheist thoughts. I don't want people to leave my homepage just because they feel uncomfortable with it. That is one reason why I made an atheism page. Another reason is that a good atheism page might keep the benign religions away from our culture.
Why do I hate religious people?
I don't! I have nothing against religious people but really dislike religion. My version of "Hate the sin, love the sinner" is "Hate the deception, love the decieved" so I'll try not to be too insulting, even if it is not always an easy task whith all those religious retards such as Pat Robertson out there. Besides, if I was insulting, religious people would not stay here and listen to my arguments so that would only counteract my purpose. People tend to respect and listen to your opinions more when you are polite than when you offend them. Moreover if we just curse at each other all the time there won't be a very nice climate for discussions.
What is Atheism?
Atheism is often looked upon as denying god. This is not completely true. Basically, atheism (a=lack of, theism=belief in gods) is nothing more than freedom from theism.
Too often theists claim atheism to be illogic. To know for certainity that god does not exist, one would have to search the whole world, they say. This is the straw man fallacy. Atheism in it's basic form does not deal with evidence against god, it concerns lack of evidence for god. The only logical position is not to believe in anything unproved, and this is exactly what weak atheism is about.
Moreover, you don't have to search through the whole world to understand that things which are intrinsically impossible, such as invisible pink unicorns, square circles, crimson rainbows and unexisting things, do not exist.
For more information on what atheism really is see what I have to say about atheism on my philosophy page or read the Webster dictionary definitions of atheism and agnosticism.
For theists Atheism web, probably has the best introduction to atheism.
Some reasons to be an atheist
- You don't have to believe the preachers on funerals when they tell you that your loved ones where sinful. (I found it extremely bothersome on my grandfather's funeral that the preacher talked about sin all the time; and I'm glad I could reject that as religious superstition. Unfortunately I had to listen to the bullshit though.)
- There is noone whatching you when you masturbate, have sex, goes to the bathroom or do anything else private. If I believed in such a god, I would certainly become totally paranoid.
- You don't run the risk of being punished eternally for your opinions. (i.e. you are not sent to hell for not believing the bible)
- You won't be as easily fooled to give away all your money to impostors
- There are no evil creatures or devils to fear (except for religious fundamentalists. Some of them are really dangerous, such as people that blow up abortion clinics, kill doctors or issue death penalties on authors)
- You don't have to waste your time reading ancient myths to decide how to live.
My other pages concerning atheism and freethought
Last update: February 17, 1997